Utah Brewery Map

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The Breakfast Club


You know your a real beer geek when you come across a rare beer-find and start screaming like a school girl at a Zac Efron sighting. Even more so, when said beer is discovered at your local watering hole... Further still, even more giddiness ensues when it's the last two left in the state. Well kiss my b'dizzle ya'll, cause we done up-an'-swilled those bitches!

What 'bitches' am I referring to? only one of the best named, most robust beers on the planet. Mikkeller's Beer Geek Breakfast. Fellow beer gnerd Douglass Byrd and myself were on a sampling tour of some of Utah's finest new seasonals last Friday evening, when we finally came to rest at the Bayou. There tucked away on the "Off the Menu" menu was this stout that we had often talked about but never had a chance to try. I'm glad I got the chance to try Beer Geek Breakfast it really is that good. And If you love coffee or coffee stouts it's a dream.

Poured a surprisingly thick opaque black with a sturdy dark brown cap of foam. It reminds me of my grandmas ebony lacquered piano. The nose was a barista's dream. Strong roasted coffee with dark chocolate, raspberry and fig. The taste starts rich with bitter espresso and dark bakers chocolate. Next comes a smokiness with a touch of nutty-vanilla bean. Hops are bearly noticeable in the end. The finish is Silky and smooth and it's richness lingers on the tongue for quite a while. Very little of the 7.5% alcohol is noticeable. Full bodied with moderate to light carbonation. Nicely over-balanced with great drink ability. I haven't been overly impressed with Danish beers. Mikkeller is quickly changing my attitudes. Sorry to rub it in. They might be a little pricey. If you come across any, snag 'em they'll be worth it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That was a great find indeed. I brought some of this back with me from my last trip to Denver...after a conversation with the beer purchaser at a liquor warehouse he took me into the back room where they had a couple of bottles hidden. AMAZING beer; I wish I'd found it at the Bayou first. -Andy