Utah Brewery Map

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Oaky and the Bandit

Yesterday the Boys at the Bohemian Brewery had a few firsts. They made their first high point beer and they subsequently bottle their first beer. Until now, they've only canned their beer.

The beer in question is an oak aged black lager. Oaky & The Bandit has been aging in oak barrels for about a year. What makes this beer unique is that it's an aged lager. Typically you don't see many lagered beers aged for this amount of time. Most aged beers tend to be ales.

The Bohemian is trying to recreate what a dark Munich style or Schwarzbier lager aged and cellared in oak would have tasted like a couple hundred years ago. Reto-lagers are becoming the Bohemians trademark style. Remember that 1842 Pilsner? That was about as old school as traditional lagers get.

The body remains light since lager yeast was used. The carbonation is fine producing a wonderful head. The oaky notes compliment the coffee and roasted malt flavor profiles.

There's a very limited production run on this beer. 400 22oz bottles sealed in wax and individually numbered. These bottles are available for purchase at the brewery and possibly at a few select locations around town. Get a bottle while you can. Available later this week.

Prost!

22 comments:

Plang said...

Whoo-hoo!

I was looking for an excuse to go over there this week and now you have given me the best excuse I could look for.

baldismetal said...

Just called down there and they are not releasing them today...according to the brewers.

tin-shed said...

Stopped by there, and I heard the same. Not released today. An issue with bottling potentially.

Willard said...

I guess I should have called. Not one of the four employees at the door knew what I was talking about and one even went in the vback and when she returned she said she could only offer it in a can or Growler...

Joe Snow said...

any idea of price?

Plang said...

Willard, same thing happened to me. In fact, most of the people up front had no idea what I was talking about.

I think this little site is just a little too on-the-ball!

Mikey said...

I wish I could say this is the first time that this has happened. There is no communication between the brewery and the resturaunt. I'm sorry my missinformation caused some of you to make an unnessisary trip.

Foolio said...

Mikey clearly stated they would be available "later this week", not right away. Patience, people.

Mikey said...

Foolio. I edited the post so others wouldn't make an unnecessary trip.

I'm just full of screw-ups today...

Anonymous said...

Had no idea they became a packaging agency. That would be news alone. Why is it not for sale? What price? Why bottles? I thought canning was they way they did it!

Mikey said...

Becoming a a packaging agency is cool but not unusual. It's very necessary to have a class 5 to stay competitive in the market.

"Why is it not for sale"? - Bottling issues. These guys don't Bottle, they Can. Working out the bugs I guess. Also, Bottles are cheaper when producing small batches. It wouldn't be cost affective to produce a very limited run of custom cans.

Still waiting for word on pricing.

kent said...

Maybe I'm showing my age but this has to win for one of the best labels ever. I can't wait to try this one out.

baldismetal said...

just called them and it is ready today and it is $9 per bottle. Sorry Mikey, not trying to do you job, just wanted to pass on the info.

Mikey said...

Wahoo! I'd still call first.

And... Please do my job. It benefits everyone.

Anonymous said...

Just got a bottle. Nice looking but only 4%. Not high gravity. Said they don't have the license for selling high gavity. Bummer.

Anonymous said...

I picked up a few today, hope it's tasty. The bartender was super cool and got me the lowest numbered bottles he could. I love Bohemian, they got me to like lagers again.

Goofy McWanker said...

I also found the ABV to be a bit peculiar - didn't know a barrel-aged beer could come in under 5 - but so long as it tastes killer, I couldn't care less how much alcohol it contains. Looking forward to crackin' a bottle tonight.

Douglas said...

If it's 4%, any plans to put it on draft?

Mikey said...

It sounds like they bottled the entire run

Douglas said...

I hate to say it, but this beer was a bit of a disappointment. The year in oak probably contributed to a very thin body- there wasn't much there at all really. Still, I hope Bohemian keeps on coming out with new stuff.

Anonymous said...

Way too much oak for a low gravity beer.

Anonymous said...

there are plans to do it again at a higher gravity. i guess they didnt have the license yet. if you aren't aware there are three smokey and the bandit movies...