I'm not trying to be overly dramatic when I say, the coming changes to Utah's beer laws will be the biggest since the end of prohibition. In all likely hood we will see the end of 3.2 beer, draft restrictions along with the implementation of new taxes. The Utah Brewers Guild is striving to get ahead of coming cluster f*** to help bring Utah into the 20th century. Yeah, I said 20th century.
Recent fund raisers have given the guild's coffers enough money to hire a dedicated lobbyists and to promote a positive perception about our beer industry's presence in the public eye. Another part of the Guild's budget has been set aside for an executive director to head the UBG. The current body is comprised of representatives from many of Utah's breweries. Their days are already full with their respective day-to-today operations and have limited time to devote to these critical, impending issues.
So the Utah Brewers Guild is looking for someone to take the reins and help move the guild forward into the new age of Utah beer. This isn't a voluntary, donate your time position. There is a part-time compensation package included; that could even become full time down the road.
The Utah Brewers’ Guild (UBG) is a 501 (c) 6 non-profit trade organization founded to provide a unified voice for Utah craft breweries and to help promote and educate its members and the local community regarding craft beer and the craft beer industry.
Here is the job listing. If you love craft beer and know your way around nonprofit management and/or the craft beer industry you could help us all have a better craft beer life. Please pass this along to any interested individuals.
JOB TITLE – Executive Director
REPORTS TO – Board of Directors
Responsible for achieving the Mission Statement of the Utah Brewers Guild (“UBG”) and executing the goals of the Strategic Growth Plan as set forth by the Board of Directors.
This position is expected to implement the structure, process and financials to lead the organization to performance excellence and is responsible for managing all elements of the UBG including staff, fundraising, membership, financial, events, media and marketing, support of legislative activity and administration duties. This position will require passion for the industry, working in a fast-paced environment, coordinating many different concurrent projects and developing a staff that is efficient, motivated and works together as a team.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Report to Board of Directors as directed, including;
- Bi-monthly updates to Board
- Presentation at all Board of Directors meetings
- Organize and participate at all Board of Directors meetings
- Facilitate and guide Board elections process
- Maintain and manage a fully operational office
- In the future, responsible for management and development of staff. Responsible for building, leading and managing a growing team of UBG employees
- Oversight of all UBG documents, reporting requirements and various accounting/filing requirements
- Maintain UBG records and files
- Maintain and manage UBG insurance and legal needs
- Responsible for all contracts with independent contractors and vendors
- Oversee and manage all website, data base systems and records
- Oversee financial reports (budget, cash flow, balance sheet, P&L, etc.) and report to the Treasurer and/or Financial Committee on monthly basis
- Develop an annual budget in conjunction with the Financial committee and full Board.
- Responsible for meeting annual budget
- Meet revenue goals, manage A/R and A/P
- Responsible for maintaining accurate and current membership lists
- Responsible for growing all levels of membership
- Initiate, develop and implement fundraising programs
- Regular outreach and communication to membership including meetings and phone calls and online Forum
- Develop new and innovative membership benefits
- Support Political Affairs
- Support and assist in execution of political awareness campaign including legislator and policymaker outreach, beer tastings and informational events inside and outside of Utah
- Develop programs, documents and initiatives that support political affairs mission
- Work with and manage PR, media outreach, etc
- Oversee and manage web site. Update content monthly. Develop new web site content on quarterly basis.
- Member events: coordinate and execute in conjunction with the Events Committee all elements of various UBG events including all General Meetings, workshops and Regional Meetings
- Fundraising events: responsible for executing all current UBG fundraising events and developing new events to generate revenue
- Political contact events: create and assist in execution with Legislative Committee a series of regular meeting events that entice state legislators, regulators, and other key strategic organizations, to get together with craft brewers such as a monthly happy hour, an annual “day on the hill,” tours and town hall meetings at local breweries, beer and food dinners for staffers, etc.
- Industry Development
- Interface with economic development opportunities
- Interface with regional and state guilds and the Brewers Association
- Orchestrate and manage annual Economic Impact Studies
- Develop new and maintain relationships with industry counterparts and trade associations, including UT Tourism Association, chambers of commerce, restaurant associations, beer wholesalers association (UBWA), UT Manufacturers Association, Economic Development Corporation (EDC SLC and UT), etc
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Publisher, Excel, Adobe Acrobat.
- Some experience with Quickbooks. Must be able to understand and work with financial reports and create and manage a budget.
- Must be proficient at public speaking.
- Must have knowledge of the beer and alcohol industry including a basic understanding of the regulations governing all types of alcohol.
- Must be adept at networking. Must be comfortable meeting with and engaging with local leaders, policymakers, legislators, state officials.
- Must have proficient sales abilities
- Must have experience with sales processes, tracking and use of sales tools
- Need to be creative, innovative and enterprising to develop and lead fundraising efforts.
- Must have experience creating, maintaining and following through on sales lead programs
- Must be comfortable and adept at working with brewers, suppliers, retailers, distributors, craft beer enthusiasts and others in the industry to sell membership and UBG ideals.
- Basic level of media experience
- Will be required to attend various UBG events and meetings throughout the state. May be required to travel to occasional seminars and conferences outside the state.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES
Valid Driver’s license required.
Will need to pass Cicerone Level 1 and Utah S.M.A.R.T. Program certifications within 90 days of start.
Experience working in the nonprofit management and/or craft beer industry preferred. Must be self-motivated, highly organized, detail oriented and demonstrate initiative to create, develop and manage multiple projects. Will need to demonstrate initiative and provide follow-through in all areas of responsibility. Must work cooperatively with staff and Board of Directors. Must display excellent verbal and writing skills and be an excellent “people person” and communicator. Must also be able to motivate and manage multiple staff employees. Positive thinker and quick learner is a must.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to outdoor weather conditions, large events and driving. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet, but can be occasionally moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 60 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
Submit detailed resume and cover letter electronically to [[[JOBS@UBG.COM]]]
No phone calls please.