Utah Brewery Map

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

POOR RICHARDS ALE

Founding Father and beer lover Benjamin Franklin, Turned 300 years old last January 17th. Happy Birthday Ben! To celebrate this fine day two award-winning brewers with ancestral ties to Benjamin Franklin joined with the Benjamin Franklin Tercentenary Commission and others to select a recipe for Poor Richard’s Ale—a beer for Americans nationwide to hoist on 1/17/06. I know, I know. I'm a week late. I just didn't think that it anyone in state would be making it. I was wrong. Mark Alston from The Bayou informed me that The Wasatch Brewpub in Park City produced a 4.0%abv version and from what I understand it's only available up there. I havn't tried it yet. Mark has, his reaction was mixed. Has anyone had a chance to get up there and try it? Is anyone making it at home? Let us know.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

i would like to see what this "Mikey Reidel" looks like? and are you available?

Mikey said...

Unfortunatly, many have tried to capture his likeness. All have failed. He is rumoured to be stoic, bold, fearless and foolhardy. Reminiscent of an ancient greek god. He is available for Bachelortte parties, Children's parties and Bar-Mitzvahs. Call 1-800-dumb-ass.

Anonymous said...

well there Mikey Reidel of dumb-ass.com.... i would love to schedule you in for a lap dance... oh wait... that would be me doing the lap dance for a Mikey Reidel.

Mikey said...

Considering this particular thread started with a three hundred year old beer recipe and quickly morphed into lap dances. I would have to say, I find this encouraging and agreeable. I think I speak for all would-be, beer geeks.

Anonymous said...

Beer always has a way of "morphing" into something tied with sex. But would you seriously have it any other way? Not I.... but i am female and sex is something to have as frequent as beer!

Brendan said...

As it happens, I work right around the corner from Yards. Indeed, owner's wife is on our Board of Directors, and we (my girl and I) just toured the brewery last weekend. If you're ever in Philly, you MUST go. It's located in the bottling plant of a brewery that went out of business during prohibition.

That said, Poor Richard's ale sucks. It's the only product by Yards that I do not like. And Yrads had to adjust the recipe to make it palatable: according to midatlantic brewing news, the original concoction taste like cough syrup.

I gotta say Mikey, we've never met I but i love your blog.

Brendan said...

Yards Brewery is here