Utah Brewery Map

Friday, May 04, 2012

New Beer Friday 5/4/12

When RedRock's Secale came out last year, it really altered my perception of rye beers. I've always liked them, but the combination of rye beer and rye whiskey really brought the style to the next level.

While Secale is on hiatus (aging in barrels), there's a new offering at the Bayou that will tide you over 'till it returns.

Part of the Smokestack Series, Boulevard's Rye-on-Rye takes advantage of the assertive spiciness of rye to provide spicy sweetness, giving way to notes of caramelized wood and the citrusy tang.

It just came in last night, I haven't had the pleasure yet, but guaranteed I'll be sampling and comparing this evening.  750ml. 11% ABV.

Cheers!

(note: that is not Mark Alston from the Bayou pictured above. It is in fact master illusionist and warlock, Doug Henning. I can understand the confusion.)

4 comments:

Craig said...

That has been my favorite from the Smokestack series so far.

Jamie said...

The beer is SOOOOOOOOO GOOD!

Matt M. said...

haha, great picture!

Anonymous said...

Are you sure that isn't Mark Alston???